Skill Builder: Cutting, The Art and science of
Experience Needed: None
Format: 3 parts via ZOOM
Cutting fabric is one of those skills that make many people tremble. What if I ruin my fabric by cutting it wrong? What if I hurt myself with the rotary cutter? How do I position myself so my ruler doesn't slip?
Class #1 Lecture Time Approx. 1 hour
- Examine various brands and stills of rotary cutters, rulers and mats.
- Determine which ones will give you the best results and why.
- Learn how to safely change the blade on your rotary cutter.
- Safety; How to stay out of the emergency room!
Class #2 Demo Time Approx. 1 hour
Let's get cutting
- Prepping your fabrics
- Controlling Ruler Slippage
- Obtaining accuracy
Class #3 Skills Lab approx. 1 hour
- Skills practice
- Learn how to cut long borders and wide yardage.
- Tackle Stripes and plaids
- Brief review of other cutting systems including scissors
Supplies needed: For class #3 only
- Rotary Cutter
- Cutting Mat
- Fabric to cut: Approx 12" x 42"