Skill Builder: Pressing Matters
Format: 3 parts via ZOOM
Lecture/ Demo/ Skills Lab
As the title says, pressing truly does matter. It can alter the outcome of an entire project and most times not in a good way! This class is intended for individuals who are creating quilts, garments and home dec items.
Class #1: Lecture time approx. 1 hour
* What pressing tools are available?
* When, why and how do we use them?
Class #2: Lecture time approx. 1 hour
Techniques; Let's put those tools into action!
Some of the items we will discuss
* How does the fiber type affect pressing?
* Why is it important to understand grain lines ?
* How do we distort our fabrics? How do we fix that distortion?
* When should we use steam; To steam or not steam?
* Starch; Do we starch or not?
Class #3: Skills Lab approx. 1 hour
Put your knowledge into practice! Watch pressing in action!
Supplies needed for class #3 (A kit will be available for class #3 upon request, fees will apply)
* Strip of cotton fabric: 2" X 24" cut on the cross grain
* Strip of cotton fabric: 2" X 24" cut on the bias
* Strip of Polyester fabric 2" x24"
* Basic 4 or 9 patch (I will show you what you need in class #1)
* 2 strips of cotton sewn right sided together with batting @ 3" x 12' (I will show you what you need in class #1)
* Pressing surface
* Spray bottle